Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Artist


2012 Academy Awards for 2011 movies…Is it the 2011 Oscars, or the 2012 Oscars? Either way, winner of Best Picture that year was “The Artist.” This movie was in black and white and silent, complete with the title cards with dialogue. The beginning and end credits matched ‘20s and ‘30s movies, as did the movie itself. I was uncertain why this had won so many awards. I made myself sit down last night and watch it. I’m not a fan of old movies or movies with “bad quality.” I like the more hi-res movies with a ton of quality in animation and in CGI. Diving back into the early 20th Century was tough, but I finally figured out how to swim.

I do not own the rights to above image.

During my viewing of it, I found myself sitting ever so close to the screen; I was becoming immersed into the film. Even though it didn’t have sound effects and voice, the music was still there to drive the train. Now that I mention it, the music accompaniment to this film was so incredible; it was like I was back at five years old watching Looney Tunes. The music drove the storyline through low tones and high tones. Another thing I liked about the music was that it matches with the actions simultaneously. It wasn’t just in background where it gets set aside, to fill that ringing in your ear. Not this time. It gave the story life and passion.

The two leads played by Jean Dujardin (George Valentin) and Bérénice Bejo (Peppy Miller) was spectacular. There was so much emotion with Jean, especially when the conflict started to uproar, which, ironically enough, is sound. The main problem is this film is the usage of sound in film, thus destroying the career of poor George Valentin. When George met Peppy Miller for the first time, it changed his life in more ways than one.

Another thing worth mentioning was the costume design. Obviously this is a timepiece, so getting the wardrobe done correctly has a big toll on the movie itself. I felt the wardrobe was very inviting and exciting. It made me feel like I was actually present in that era.

All the upbeats of the film were loud and exciting. Well, not loud…oh never mind. They were FUN. The laughs, the humor, the smiles from everyone. For the first twenty minutes, it was pure joy. Nothing could ever go wrong. Until, BAM: The introduction of sound effects and the degradation of our two beloved characters. As George wants to keep doing the silent films, having a large contrast with his love interest Peppy being so positive about the new Talkies (movies with sound) causes a problem. Now, George sets out to pay for, make, and act in a new movie on his own. He puts in his life savings for it. But, Peppy’s performance is too great in the new Talkies. George loses everything.

Enough with the actual storyline, however compelling it may be. One thing that really stood out to me was the sequence of SOUND. Yup You heard me: Sound. There is a sequence in the movie where sound is actually present. It was so well done. The performance by George during it was fun, but depressing. I felt really sad for the character, something that rarely happens these days.

As the climax approaches and leaves, the movie is in freefall. Anything and everything is going wrong. The character is in such a rut he can’t get out. I won’t spoil anything, but the character gets at the lowest point in the movie and possibly their life. Again, I won’t spoil anything, but the movie uses a clever title card reading, “BANG!” I’m not afraid to admit, I was on the verge of tears when this happened. I was so emotionally connected to the movie and character, that I felt his pain, although empathetically, I still felt it.

Of course, like any movie, everything ends up being ok. Everyone is happy, including myself.  I felt this movie deserved the awards it received. Best Picture now seems like an understatement to me. I enjoyed every minute of “The Artist.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment